about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project // embroidered planner clips

Stitched Planner Clips


I love planners and paper and stationery of all kinds. However, I buy them and never use them. Okay, so I use them a bit, but never like I should or want to. Certainly not like the people who are making their planners cute. Seriously, do a search for "make your planner cute" and you'll see what I mean.

When it comes to planners, I do some of my planning on Google Calendar, I check in on the family calendar my mom keeps, and the rest of the time I fly by the seat of my pants. Most of the time this works for me. It's just not too cute. (Why can't you add emoji to Google Calendar?!?!)

For now, I'm going to add some little clips to my notebook, and be happy with making that a little cuter. You can make some of these embroidered clips too...they're fast, and you can stitch any tiny design you like!

Stitched Planner Clips

You will need:

Wool blend felt
Embroidery floss
Sulky Sticky Fabri-Solvy or tissue paper
Large paper clip
Fabric glue

Stitched Planner Clips

Trace or print your chosen embroidery pattern onto Fabri-Solvy or tissue paper, then stitch through the material and felt.

The little kitty I'm using is part of a larger pattern from Amy Sinibali's book Sweetly Stitched Handmades. Any small pattern will do!

Stitched Planner Clips

Cut around the embroidery, leaving some room so you don't get too close to those stitches. If you used Fabri-Solvy, soak it away, and if you used tissue paper tear away the tissue.

Cut a second piece of felt to match the shape of the embroidered piece. Keep track of which side needs to be up to match up with the front piece.

Stitched Planner Clips

Apply a layer of fabric glue over the plain piece of felt, then lay the non-clipping side of the jumbo paper clip in the glue.

Stitched Planner Clips

Smooth the embroidered piece onto the glue and allow it to fully dry.

Stitched Planner Clips

Now your clip is ready to add onto your planner, your journal, your sketchbook, etc. (I am entirely smitten with this kitten and its eyes in two sizes!)

Stitched Planner Clips
Stitched Planner Clips

Your clip will mark your spot and hold groups of pages together! Or you know...you could use it like you would a normal paper clip!

Stitched Planner Clips
Stitched Planner Clips

I recently came across this fishy clip that seems really familiar to me. Like, maybe it was mine when I was a kid? It's not unusual for bits and bobs like this to magically appear at just the right time.

Fishy does look incredibly happy for an animal that is so close to another animal that might eat him. I'm guessing that they've become friends and all will be well. I hope.

Stitched Planner Clips

I see many more stitched clips in my future. They are quick to stitch and put together, and they're such a fun extra to send to a friend!

6 comments:

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!